March 1, 2014

Camp Preparation

I am currently preparing for the wonderful world of Camp NaNoWriMo.

What the heck is Camp NaNoWriMo? Everybody in the universe asks me.  Me: it's just like regular NaNoWriMo... you write a novel in a month. The difference is that normal NaNoWriMo is in November, and Camp is in April and July.

(There's also the minor difference that you can't add buddies, and you can choose your own word-count.)

You can see the Camp website here.

I loooooovve NaNoWriMo, so I do it for all three months. It's sort of dumb, probably, but I get a lot of writing done.

I'll probably write a big long list about the pros and cons of NaNoWriMo sometime around November, when I'm procrastinating on it, but for now, here's a little bit of me geeking out about it. 

I have so many issues with commitment. I have a super short attention span and writing the same thing day after day seems impossible to me. What if I get bored? I'll be stuck writing it for days, or even worse, I'll fail.

Thank goodness, my desire to not fail usually wins out. And thus I end up writing tons and tons of words, finish projects, and am filled with a glowing pride at the end of the month.

I look forward to November all year.

April and July are also good, although I've only won one round of Camp. This is probably because I don't know enough people doing it, so if you know anybody who does, introduce me so I can get really competitive with them. That would be great. Thanks.

What will I be doing this April? Well, gonna be straight with you-- I'm a rebel this year (As I was last November, actually). I have a lot of stuff to get done, and I intend to structure that stuff so that I can get it done and still use the handy word-count tools their website offers.

"Stuff" is codename for my graphic novel comic thing, of course.

This is the way I counted words last November, which was a pretty effective way of doing things:

finish lineart on page= 1,900 words
finish coloring on page= 1,600 words
finish sketching one page= 1,200 words
finish paneling layout on one page= 1,000 words
one thumbnail completed= 280 words
sketch background for one panel= 350 words
script written= amount of words written

I'm a really slow artist so this is kind of a terrifying chart, but I am going to win this April!

This is my word count for last November. Sigh.

(I will be working with a slightly less daunting word count this April, though. I'm thinking 40,000 words. I really need to get stuff done.)

No comments:

Post a Comment