February 5, 2014

artsy goals and business goals

I've seen many writers who seemed to be totally bent on getting published. Observing them, this seemed to be the only goal that they had. I would be insane to say I think that's not a good goal to have, but I think it's more of a business goal than an artistic goal.

Hm. How do I make this thought clearer.

Artsy goals (in my own opinion):
  • creation of really great characters
  • learning how to plot really tightly
  • writing an entire novel
  • learning how to write poetry
  • learning to use correct grammar (heaven knows I need this one)
  • learning to write really great dialogue
  • learning to write comics
  • figuring out how antagonists work
  • inventing really unique new super powers
  • etc.
Business Goals (again, in my own opinion):
  • getting over 100 followers on your blog
  • making a Facebook page for your book
  • publishing your book
  • learning how advertisement works
  • learning how to format an e-book
  • joining a writer's guild
  • starting a really unique new super-hero writing blog (if anybody ever needs a partner to help them write a superhero writing blog, I AM OPEN. I WILL DO IT.)
  • etc.
"Artsy" goals and "business" goals are both very important and beneficial things. But I think that having "get published" as the endgame for your novel or short story or whatever will not be as beneficial to you in your writing as "make dialogue stronger" or "make this villain the most evil character in the history of literature".

Publishment is something you do to your book as a whole, and so it is very difficult to apply to your novel in a way that helps you write the novel well.

No comments:

Post a Comment