February 21, 2014

Ana Cross, who writes the fabulous blog Inkspot, made a very good point on the comments of my post "said":

I agree with this, but I also believe that a good "action-said-verb" every now and then definitely doesn't hurt. I've seen too many people who religiously use said, like it's the only word that works.

 First off, thank you for adding your two cents! (I quite like it when people point out my discrepancies, as they are everywhere.)

Secondly, this is a very good point. I suppose the trick to writing, as to all things in life, is moderation. It is super easy to imagine a scenario where a 'said' would be far less appropriate than 'howled' or 'hissed' or... oh I don't know. I need another H word. 'Hacked'?

Pretty much:
  • don't use noisy dialogue tags to the point that you choke when you read it.
  • don't use said to the point that you choke on it.
Moderation, folks. (I should probably write the word "moderation" on my forehead with a magic marker or something... I have so many bad habits...)

Thank you, Ana! (Go read her blog. It is a good blog. Far higher quality than mine. 10 out of 10 would recommend.)

1 comment:

  1. Aw thanks, Chloe, for recommending my blog! :) So sweet.

    Ana

    inkspotwriter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete