September 15, 2014

Reading List: Today

The Penderwicks Series by Jeanne Birdsall 
The family in these books always makes me laugh so much. They all have fantastic personalities, and the author has such a quirky and amusing style that really makes each book fun to read over and over again.

A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken 
I haven't read this one yet, but it became assigned reading when I moved into the boarding house. Every single person in the house has now walked up to me and said, "Oh yeah, that is suuuuuch a good book. I cried." Even the male boarding students have told me this.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan 
Pretty sure I had this book memorized at one point in my life, but I haven't thought about it in eons. It's still pretty funny.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling 
I definitely had this book memorized at one point in my life, but I recently remembered a few odd details about it (for example, the spiders in Harry's cupboard) and decided to re-read it. I remember that when I read it for the first time at age thirteen or so I was surprised because it was obvious from the writing that it was meant for children younger than myself. I was surprised again. Great book.

Cross Creek by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings
This was given to me as a "don't forget Florida" gift from a person at church when I moved. I've only read a few of the stories so far, but I like the way it feels almost like one of my own world building experiments-- piece by piece, Rawlings shows how it was like to live in Cross Creek. Pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment