May 6, 2014

short rant about art

~all subjective thoughts of the author~

(first, though, a random picture because all my posts must have some kind of picture, okay?)

(and I mean seriously, that was a really random picture. I literally just opened my art file and clicked one with my eyes shut. )

Okay, I have spent the past two weeks in deep conversation with my siblings, mostly centered around one subject: art.(Specifically art featuring pirates, but that is beside the point)

So. This has made me all-in-all felt the need to clarify one very important thing: if you say "Oh gosh, your art is so much better than mine! I'll never be as good as you! You're so lucky!" let us get one thing clear-- this is not a complement.

My drawing abilities are, at their core, obviously, a gift from God. But it's more than just a gift. God also gives ballerinas the wonderful gift of being able to control their bodies in beautiful ways. That doesn't negate the unbelievable amount of work that all dancers have to go through in order to become even decent dancers. Same goes for acting or sports or academic or linguistic pursuits or counseling or pretty much anything else. God is good, and he gives us wonderful and amazing talents. But we all have to work very hard to make those talents bring fruit.

So when my siblings say, "Chloe, your art is sooo much better than mine." I say, "Yeah, it is, because I've been working hard at it every single day for ten years."

And if my siblings want to become really good at art, I am positive that they will be able to become so. They are all blessed with good eyes and obedient fingers and I have seen them all make tons of artistic progress in the short time that they've been working at it.

I don't want to sound puffed up about all this, but it really is that simple.

"Oh gosh, your art is so much better than mine! I'll never be as good as you! You're so lucky!" Is not going to help you, and it is not going to help the artist you are saying it to. (Also, "luck" is a theologically incorrect idea. Random smart-aleck fact since I'm being all snooty today.)

Instead, say (and think!) this stuff:
  • You have great facial anatomy! (Wow, he draws his eyes way lower than I draw mine, they look tons better that way. I should find some resources on where to properly place eyes.)
  • Wow, you're amazing at drawing clothing. I love the folds, they look so realistic! Do you invent all the outfits yourself, or do you find references somewhere? (I've always been too scared to really try drawing clothing folds, but it definitely adds a lot. I guess I better try it.) (also as a PS practically all the artists I know are always eager to share resources.)
  • I love how you use a different color to shade! (Well that's a great idea, it gives it so much versatility and life. I should try that some time.)
  • Your crosshatching is so cool. (another thing to practice)
  • I NOTICED YOU DID COOL THINGS (THINKS ABOUT COOL THINGS)

You have to be willing to look at your own art and say, "yeah, this isn't so great", but then look at somebody else's and say, "I can be that good if I practice every day for the next ten (or twenty, or thirty, or fifty) years!"

So basically my short rant is: Don't be mean to yourself, and don't negate the hard work that all people have to put into their skills. 

Rant over, Chloe out.

No comments:

Post a Comment