May 1, 2014

another minor announcement + pirate comic

Start with the minor announcement: this blog is now going my the title "snobby writing blog" because that is what I usually call it in polite conversation. (i.e. that's what I call it when my siblings ask what I'm doing on the computer)

sooo... stats
Sooo... technically I didn't win Camp NaNoWriMo. But I think that considering the fact that I'm currently in the middle of finals (as in, everything is due Saturday) and throughout April I moved, made it through the last stretch of two intensive language classes, and switched projects right in the middle of the month... I did fairly decently. I wrote 5,870 words that last day! And we're talking words in comic script form. Like, dialogue and scene descriptions only. so I'm pretty happy!

So, what did I do? I wrote and illustrated none other than my totally un-fleshed out story inkling, which is currently titled "Rocking Boats and Making Waves" because why on earth not?

Now let me tell you a few things about this comic. (What time is it? That's right! Bullet list time!)
  • I drew the first pages of this comic with exactly zero idea of what any of the characters were named, what their personalities were like, and anything at all about their background.
  • Admittedly, the pirates did have sort of sketchy physical designs I'd already drawn, because my siblings and I had a pirate-crew-creating-contest a few months ago. 
  • I wrote the script in classic NaNoWriMo style-- which is to say that there is absolutely no quality and I don't care.
  • Plot? What's that?
  • Also I used supercheap ballpoint pens to color and supercheap printer paper to draw everything because I hate spending money on things that don't matter.
 Without further ado... the first twelve pages.
What do you mean, I used the wrong kind of 'pilot'? (This, my friends, is a classic case of "why you should not watch television and ink lettering at the same time.) Now I guess we'll just have to pretend I meant to name this chapter after the Roman Governor of Jerusalem at the time of Jesus' crucifixion... ick.
You can't really tell now, but I totally botched that top panel and now I'm beating myself up over it.

The guy with the binoculars is named Captain Marcus Lupus-slash-Yacht Man. My siblings named him. They didn't name the other guy for some reason.
You'd think that using photographic references on top of actually living at the beach I'd be able to draw water, but no.

how use words?
how use speech bubbles?

Why do we care about engineers all of a sudden? Answer: Because this is NaNoWriMo.
If that was plan A I really don't have high hopes for plan B... or the intelligence of this character. Also, I might make that cricket a recurring character.

panel two: the chipmunk face to end all chipmunk faces
My 12-year-old sister repeatedly yells "your cousin is a goldmine" now. Not sure why that line resonated so much with her.

how do use panels?

this is Stanley Yorick. you will find that a piece of my soul lives within him, much like he is my horcrux. except I'm not evil. I hope. Also, my six-year-old sister now yells "Matt! My favorite cousin!" on a regular basis.

I'm now up to page 25, but they aren't scanned yet and I'm not going to post them until I get to another decent breaking point. And yes, it is all as random and pointless and wimpy as these pages.

I love comics sooo much, okay?

Now, enough procrastination on my part: time to get my finals homework together! (help)

No comments:

Post a Comment